This session covers techniques for working with raster imagery, such as printed or scanned maps or aerial photography. The relationship between image (i.e. pixel) coordinates and geographic coordinates will be explained, and students will be shown how to 'geo-reference' raster images. The session will also cover several approaches to extracting spatial data from raster images. Finally, the session will cover how an image processor (e.g. Photoshop, PaintShop Pro) can be used to prepare rasters for display in GIS.
- Relationship between images and geographic coordinates
- Georeferencing raster images
- Extracting spatial data from and reprojecting raster images
- Colour and transparency in MapInfo
- Useful functions in Paint Shop Pro